Recently the US National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST) published guidance on how to securely use RFID technology.
SP800-98 delivers as follows:
- explains RFID technology,
- places RFID in context,
- reviews risk involved with each of its uses and
- suggests mitigative controls.
You can download the document here:
- Karygiannis, T., Eydt, B., Barber, G., Bunn, L., Phillips, T. (2007). Guidelines for Securing Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Systems (SP800-98). Washington DC: National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) – 1.6 MB
The document addresses such issues as:
- business process,
- business intelligence and privacy risk, in addition to
- ‘external risks’ such as those involved with electromagnetic radiation.
These important issues where also addressed here:
The NIST document is 150 pages long and, as a result, very detailed.
Previous NIST documents: